The Early Years of Hartley
 

As the drought continued through 1814 Gov Macquarie had no choice but to open the west of the Blue Mountains. He had set aside 1000 acres aside for the pasturing of stock on the western foothills. William Redfern was in Macquarie's party in 1815. Redfern had saved G Macquarie's 11 day old son from death and G Macquarie was indebted to him. Redfern and Macquarie remained good friends.

The winter of 1815 was so severe that 100 cows and calves died that had been pastured on the government reserve.  He did not want unauthorized travel by settlers past emu plains.

The first grant was to William Lawson- 1000 acres at Fish River.

 

 

William Lawson snr as well as William Lawson Jnr also held land at Hartley  

 

 

Township of Hartley with the Courthouse on the left of the image

 

 
The Riverlett Bridge 1879.Township of Hartley is at the rear of the image.

 

Map of Collets site of the Royal Garter Inn  in relation to Riverlett Bridge

W. Lewington General Store and Post Office, Little Hartley  STORE 1872

 
 

 


Titled "Little Hartely Vale", this photo is believed to show the Western Rd, now Great Western Highway, with Victoria Pass ascending the mountain in the background. Photographer is believed to be Bernard Holttermann. The original is one of ten photographs in an album in Blue Mountains City Library's possession which was presented, by J.B.North (owner of the Katoomba Coal Mine), to Dr. J.R.M. Robertson, in 1881.

 

 

 

King has ordered all settlers who had applied for convicts had to clothe and maintain them for 12 months. 

Marsden thought Irish were ignorant, uncivilized savages lacking real religion and morality.